Summary: Horizon scanning and context workstream
This workstream produced an externally-commissioned issue-mapping and risk-scanning report on learning technology in FE. It also produced an FE learner and management opinion survey. Findings included:
- Understanding the FE/VET sector as a learning system is important as globalisation and technological change are driving turbulent change that requires increased variation and experimentation in our FE system
- Teaching practitioners are more curious than fearful of technology and are using a wide range of products and digital technologies in their practices
- Lack of strategic direction among providers results in fragmentation of practice
- Lack of headroom to support innovation and risk-taking, even where funding may be available in the sector, means providers generally leave innovation to others
- Staff not encouraged to use or upgrade their use of technology results in many focusing their use of tech simply on mandated administrative processes
- Building on these findings, what specific changes related to horizon-scanning are needed to make the biggest difference to you?
- Can you suggest any good mechanisms for achieving these recommendations?
- Are there other issues relating to horizon-scanning that should be considered?
Rate the horizon scanning and context workstream:
In your opinion, how relevant are the findings from the horizon-scanning workstream ( 5 = very, 1 = not at all).